With this extreme rain highly relevant and unfortunately dangerous: Leptospirosis in dogs
Most dogs love it: to roll in puddles and drink from them.
Unfortunately, many dog owners do not know: this can be life-threatening for the dog. Leptospires, pathogens of the potentially fatal infectious disease leptospirosis, are now in high season!
- Leptospirosis is a bacterial disease, whereby not only animals but also humans can become infected (so-called zoonosis).
- The source of infection are mainly mice and rats, which carry the pathogens of leptospirosis. Large quantities of these bacteria (leptospires) are excreted through their urine and thus enter puddles, ponds and pools. In the water of standing waters these bacteria can survive for weeks and multiply undisturbed.
If a dog now drinks from such a puddle, it ingests the leptospires directly. First symptoms of an infection with leptospirosis can be:
Loss of appetite, fever, vomiting diarrhea, fatigue, weakness, stiff gait due to muscle pain, increased drinking and urination, increased respiratory rate up to respiratory distress and jaundice (yellowish discoloration of skin and mucous membranes). If left untreated, these lead to acute kidney failure, liver inflammation, pulmonary hemorrhage, and clotting disorders.
If you suspect a leptospirosis infection, you should immediately consult a veterinarian, otherwise your dog's organs may be permanently damaged. The earlier the diagnosis is made and treatment can be started, the better the chances of survival!
So make sure that your dog does not drink from puddles, ponds or pools - and protect him from this unfortunately often underestimated disease!
By the way: The annual vaccination against leptospirosis is essential and should not be omitted, even if it does not guarantee 100% protection.